Some ideas to get your summer vacation underway:
1. Take a hike. Oswald West State Park offers a multitude of trails for all skill levels, each with unique and rewarding views of the Pacific Ocean, beaches, forests and mountains. If you have a bit more time, take the hike up Neahkahnie Mountain on a sunny day. You’ll remember it forever.
2. Go camping. Nehalem Bay State Park offers year-round tent, yurt, and RV camping. With the beach on one side and Nehalem Bay on the other, there is plenty to see and do; hiking, biking, horseback riding, fishing, stargazing, ranger-led activities, and so much more. (503) 368-5943
3. Stroll Laneda Avenue. There are a wide variety of shops and restaurants just waiting for you to visit. Art galleries, book stores, candy shops, ice cream parlors fine dining, and apparel stores are just a few of the offerings.
4. Tee up. Manzanita Links – a beautiful nine-hole course – is tucked back off the ocean and is a perfect way to soak up some sun while shaking the rust off your game. (503)368-5744.
5. The Hoffman Center for the Arts. Manzanita’s cultural hub, the Hoffman Center offers a variety of year-round events; live music, lectures, author readings, art classes, and more!
6. Try surfing. Short Sand Beach at Oswald West State Park offers some great waves for beginners and experts.
7. The Nehalem River. Winding through Nehalem and Wheeler on its way to the Pacific Ocean, the Nehalem River is the area’s kayaking, fishing and crabbing destination.
8. Antiquing. Have an eye for hidden treasures? The antique shops of Nehalem and Wheeler are waiting for you.
9. Nehalem Bay Winery. Visit the tasting room and select a few bottles to take home or take on a picnic. The Winery also has live music events throughout the summer. (503) 368-9463
10. Live Music. Several venues have live music on a regular basis throughout the spring and summer; San Dune Pub, Manzanita Lighthouse, Nehalem Bay Winery, Hoffman Center, Pine Grove Community House. Check the event calendar at www.exploremanzanita.com for current and upcoming live music.
11. Hit the beach. Manzanita and Oswald West SP have miles of soft sandy beaches, perfect for leisurely strolls and tidepool viewing. They’re also ideal for hitting the waves with a surfboard. How about windsurfing?
12. Rent a beach bike. For a fun way to travel the beach, Bahama Mama’s on Laneda Avenue has a wide variety of fun beach bikes.
13. Manzanita Farmers Market. Held every Friday night from 5 pm to 8 pm, it’s your source for fresh produce, arts and crafts, live music, and more
14. Fourth of July. Manzanita’s annual parade and celebration helps kick off summer.
15. Explore Nature Tillamook Coast. Several area conservation groups hold a wide variety of outdoor educational events such as guided hikes, tidepool viewing, and bird watching.